Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ostara Home Blessing

Spring is upon us and it has been glorious.  Friday we went to enjoy the Cherry Blossoms, and for the past two days we have been beautifying our own yard.  About a week ago, I came across an Ostara Home Blessing, and I thought it sounded like a lot of fun.  Here is the blessing:

Take four raw eggs; bury them at the four corners of your property (you can use more, if you need to).  While burying the eggs say something like this:

Bring thee seeds of new life
Ease all pain, and end all strife
Ancient Symbol of Fertility
Bring to us great harmony
Love for all upon the ground
For here is where the light abounds
Joy, happiness, life, and love
Surround us from below and from above

Seeing as we were just about to turn up the ground for new planting, I thought it was the perfect time to perform this blessing.  Both my husband and my son, were totally into it, so we each took turns burying an egg while another quoted a verse.

Here is the interesting thing:  I mentioned to the kids that I wanted to do this blessing earlier this week, and my daughter says "well, I'm not Wicca just yet."  I told her, "that's okay, you don't ever have to be Wicca if you don't want to be, I just thought this would be fun.  Does this bother you?"  She said, "I don't know, it just doesn't feel right."

My husband and I have been trying to puzzle this one out.  It is sometimes hard to lead small ones on a spiritual path, when you are still searching for one yourself.  I think one of the most important things that kids can learn; however, is that you are on one.  We still go to church on a regular basis, and I want the kids to have some spiritual nurturing, but this is where my hubby and I start to part ways.

I love my current church family.  They are the reason that I continue to go to church.  But if those people were to leave, I'm not sure that this is where I would continue to find my faith.  Obviously, I am already finding it in other places.  But how much of this journey do I share with my family?  Part of my own trouble with my Christian upbringing is the worshipping of the story of Christ, rather than the words that Christ spoke.  To be totally honest, I'm just not sure how much of the story I believe.  Let me be clear, I don't think it matters if I believe it or not, it seems to me that the important parts are in the lessons that Christ teaches, but how are my kids hearing this?  And I still can't figure out what about the above blessing may have offended my 9 year old daughter.  Hubby is not comfortable with them being in on all of our Wicca rituals, which I agree with, especially since I don't really know what I am doing yet, but I also don't feel like I can just turn them over to the church and say, teach them what you will.  Let's face it, that's how I grew up, and I sometimes feel a bit betrayed by the whole thing.  Certainly, this is not the same path that I want for my kids.  Truth be told, I want them to find their own way, and I'm sure they will, but not right now.  Right now, I am their guide along with my husband.  It is not a job I take lightly.  My hope is that they learn love, forgiveness, and joy in their lives.  Right now, I think it is all I can offer.

In the meantime, we have most of our herb garden and shade garden planted.  A new bush by the back gate should help keep the neighborhood dogs from trying to barge in for a visit with our very popular pooch.

I am off to meditate and give thanks for this glorious day.
Happy Spring, and Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment