Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Coming of Age

The other day, I got out my tarot cards.  My brother had gotten them for me years ago, and it has been a long while since I've taken them out.  I have a couple of options for employment for the upcoming Fall and so I thought I would consult the cards.  I enjoyed my reading very much, but what I enjoyed more was when my son saw what I was doing, he wanted a reading as well.

My cards follow many Greek myths, which happens to be of particular interest to my son.  He asked the cards about how the rest of his school year would go.  It was amazing to see how the spread laid out before him.  So much spoke to the fear and longing of growing up.  My husband and I have noticed how he seems to want to hold on to childhood.  I have worried that perhaps we should have held him back a year at the beginning of his school career.  He is so advanced academically, yet a tad behind socially and emotionally.  He approaches a cusp as he is about to turn 12 at the end of May, and the cards could not have agreed more.

The most interesting aspect of the reading; however, was my son's reaction.  It seemed to suddenly come clear to him; all of the things he's been worrying about or struggling with.  Suddenly, able to recognize and name his fears, they seemed valid, and at the same time, something completely within his capacity to deal with.  It was like seeing another step toward maturity taken right before my eyes.  What a difficult and wonderful age.

No comments:

Post a Comment